Thursday, February 5, 2009

The death of the narrators brother was a strange occurrence as he was killed when four. IN order to reinforce this motif of strange and odd sensations Heney uses other odd situations which the narrator goes through. In Heneys Mid term, Heneys uses odd situations to invoke new or different feelings or sensations. One such odd situation which set a odd tone was one that shows strange, or new feelings. When the narrator meets his father on his houses porch which the narrator "meet my father crying. This I found to be odd, and even ironic, as the father is traditionally a masculinity figure, which shows little emotion.

Another such experience which I found strange for the narrator was when Heney writes "I was embarrassed by the old men coming up to me to shake my hand" Heney shows here a experience which is odd as from the time this was written it was common for the younger men to greet the older men. This I found reinforces the odd situation going on which, at this time, the reader is not aware of what is going on.
These odd experiences I found set atone important to the end of the poem, which he itself was a different and odd experience. The death of the narrators brother, I believe was the reason these odd situations occurred.

2 comments:

Sanquan/Sangria/Sanquisha said...

David, i never really thought about how that situation could be strange, but thanks for the insight. I noticed that you mentioned about how the father was crying and that that was a change from the typical masculine figure. I agree with that statement and I also mentioned it in my plog. I felt that when the father was seen crying, it was a breakdown in gender roles and the typical male figure, which is strong and less emotional, so the father became more emotional, while the mother was more angry and tearless. Overall, I feel that breakdown in gender roles is apparent, and I feel that your opinion on the stranger feeling in the story is very helpful as a way to look at the story in a different light. Good Job!

Ms. D. said...

Hey David,
Please be sure to TITLE your blogs in relation to the text you're commenting on; also, it would be helpful to include the poem.